Come one, come all – the Gallatin Earth Celebration is happening throughout the month of April. What started as a city-wide cleanup day to coincide with Earth Day in 1989 has exploded into a month-long series of events focused on service, education, and outreach on local environmental issues. With events ranging from Clean Up Day to the MSU Local Food Fair and and the Gallatin County E-waste Collection event, there’s a good way for everyone to celebrate Earth Day.
- 7:30pm, MSU Reynolds Recital Hall
- Widely quoted climate scientist and Nobel Laureate, Dr. Steve W. Running will present on our current climate situation. Call to reserve a free ticket.
- Sponsored by The University Honors Program, Montana NSF ESPCOR, and Phi Kappa Phi.
- (406) 994-4110
April 5th: Engineers Without Borders Reycled Fashion Show
- 7:00pm, Best Western Grantree Inn
- See the latest in alternative dresses made from recycled materials. Proceeds go to the MSU Engineers Without Borders Club to build wells in Africa. $5 Students/$10 General.
- Sponsored by MSU Engineers Without Borders.
April 8th: 7th Annual Local Food Fair and Symposium
- 1:00pm-8:00 pm, MSU SUB Ballrooms
- Local vendor booths, food samples, demonstrations, panel discussion, evening Montana Sampler and Mingle, and Food Systems Movie.
- Sponsored by University Food Service, The Montana Made Program, Towne’s Harvest Garden, MSU Office of Sustainability, Friends of Local Foods, AERO, Foodscape Montana, Sustainable Food and Bioenergy Systems.
- (406) 994-6775, firstname.lastname@example.org
April 11th: Winona LaDuke: Climate Change, Carbon and Sustainable Futures
- 6:30pm, MSU Gaines Hall, Room 101
- Award winning American Indian activist, environmentalist and writer speaking about climate change and re’indigenizing economics.
- Sponsored by Society of American Indian Graduates and MSU Leadership Institute.
- 406-994-7275, email@example.com
April 16th-23rd: MSU Events on the Mall
- MSU Mall
- Electric Car Show, Trash on the Mall Waste Sort & Bike Fix it Station
- Sponsored by Facility Services, MSU Office of Sustainability, and NECO
- (406)994-6873, Facebook.com/MontanaStateSustainability
April 18th: Weird Weather: What Can We Do?
- 6:30pm-9:00pm, Pilgrim Congregational United Church of Christ 2118 S. Third
- Forum and information fair on the facts about climate change and the moral and spiritual imperative to act.
- Sponsored by Power of We (Beth Shalom, Pilgrim UCC, and Unitarian Universalists)
April 20th: Bozeman Clean Up Day
- 8:30am-1:00pm, Bogert Park Pavilion
- Community clean up of trash and pet waste; sustainability fair, children’s activities, food, live music, and raffle prizes.
- Sponsored by the City of Bozeman, Bozeman Beautification Advisory Board, Friends of Bogert Park, Montana Conservation Corps, Project WET & REI
April 20th: E-Waste Collection Event
- 9:00am-4:00pm, Gallatin County Fairgrounds East Parking Lot
- Free e-waste collection for Gallatin County businesses and residents
- Sponsored by Gallatin Solid Waste Management District
April 20th: Composting 101 Workshop
- 1-3pm, Broken Ground, 1505 Bridger Drive, Bozeman
- Learn the fundamentals of building a good compost pile, how to avoid common problem, worm bins, and tips & tricks for cold climates. Register in advance, $20/person.
April 22nd: Bozeman High Earth Week Activities
- Lunchtime, Bozeman High Cafeteria and old Library
- Seed and bulb sales, daily sustainability contest with prizes, a sustainable lunch, and end of week movie and discussion.
- Sponsored by Bozeman High School Sustainability Club
April 22nd: Donate A Tree-Plant a Tree
- 9:00am-3:00pp, South side of 7th & Kagy Fields
- Help add to MSU’s tree canopy in celebration of Earth Day, Arbor Day and MSU’s recent designation as a Tree Campus USA.
- Sponsored by Facilities Services, MSU Office of Sustainability, 1000 New Gardens, MSU Circle K and NECO.
April 26h: Annie Leonard, The Story of Stuff in Greater Yellowstone
- 6:00pm-10:00pm, The Emerson Center for the Arts and Culture
- A public event highlighting UnCommon Sense program graduates, present best practices in sustainable operations, and feature an inspiring call to action by Annie Leonard.
- Sponsored by Yellowstone Business Partnership
Stay tuned for updates and event details, and find the Gallatin Earth Celebration on Facebook!